According to the US Surgeon General, 76% of US workers reported at least one symptom of a mental health condition. Additionally, 84% stated that their workplace contributed to at least one mental health challenge.
U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, MD shared with the American Psychological Association (APA), “A healthy workforce is the foundation for thriving organizations and healthier communities. As we recover from the worst of the pandemic, we have an opportunity and the power to make workplaces engines for mental health and well-being.”
As companies identify ways to provide mental health support and eliminate conditions that contribute to poor mental health, the US Surgeon General offers a framework for workplace well-being. The five essentials outlined in the framework are similar to the prompts we offer managers in the Truvelop app.
It is important that managers help create a culture that is safe, supportive and offers resources, development and growth to ensure employees feel welcome and valued.
These employee-focused tips could help companies improve morale and drive retention.
- Protection from Harm
- Creating the conditions for physical and psychological safety is a critical foundation for ensuring workplace mental health and well-being.
- Connection & Community
- Fostering positive social interactions and relationships in the workplace supports worker well-being.
- Work-Life Harmony
- The ability to integrate work and non-work demands, for all workers, rests on the human needs of autonomy and flexibility.
- Mattering at Work
- People want to know that they matter to those around them and that their work matters. Knowing you matter has been shown to lower stress, while feeling like you do not can raise the risk for depression.
- Opportunity for Growth
- When organizations create more opportunities for workers to accomplish goals based on their skills and growth, workers become more optimistic about their abilities and more enthusiastic about contributing to the organization.
To explore these further or to download the full framework, visit https://www.hhs.gov/surgeongeneral/priorities/workplace-well-being/index.html
In order for a company to truly create a culture that values the positive well-being of its employees, a focus on mental health must start at the top. Leaders influence the overall organizational culture and let employees know it is acceptable and encouraged to talk about mental health in the workplace.
Contact us today to learn more about our modern approach to performance management and development and how it solves for retention. Don’t just take our word for it, see what our Customers have to say.