According to the CDC, “nearly 1 in 5 US adults aged 18 or older (18.3% or 44.7 million people) reported any mental illness…Many people with mental health disorders also need care for other physical health conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, respiratory illness, and disorders that affect muscles, bones, and joints.”
With 63 million Americans in the workforce, poor mental health can have a significant impact on businesses, including:
- Job performance and productivity
- Engagement with one’s work
- Communication with coworkers
- Physical capability and daily functioning
The CDC shares that mental illnesses are associated with higher rates of disability and unemployment.
As employers continue to solve the puzzle of retention amid ongoing demands for more flexible hours, increased pay and greater support for the gig economy, paying attention to employees’ mental health status could build a culture that attracts and retains good talent.
With the Truvelop app, managers can take steps to track and support employees’ mental health.
- Goals and frequent evaluation
- By setting goals and revisiting them often through frequent evaluations, managers can better understand how an employee is performing, the challenges they may be facing, and the resources or support they may need to achieve their goals.
- Spark recognition
- When managers – and colleagues! – recognize employees for success big and small, they feel validated and encouraged which boosts morale and reduces stress. Creating a sense of team and belonging can help employees feel supported and confident to speak up when they are struggling.
- Two-way communication
- Employees don’t want to be a number or a cog in the wheel. Developing strong relationships with their managers and the confidence to speak up when they are confused, upset or feeling overworked is critical to employee retention. Establishing two-way communication develops a culture where employees feel empowered and valued.
Contact us today to learn more about our modern approach to performance management and development that actually improves the manager and employee relationship. Don’t just take our word for it, see what our Customers have to say.